Great News! , American Express and Etihad Airlines have been running a combined promotion for quite some time now, which offers an up to 10% discount to American Express customers for booking their tickets on Etihad Airways. This promotion has now been extended to last all through June 2017.
As per the promotion, Etihad is offering a discount of up to 10% in First, Business and Economy classes, ex-taxes when you pay with your Amex card. The discount is available on all fare classes, however, you need to look out for a yellow star before the fare to know you are buying a ticket with a discount. For instance, I pulled up this fare between London/Mumbai, and it comes up with a discount, which is lower than going directly to the booking engine. The discounts work out higher in absolute number terms for Business Class and upwards.
Here are the salient terms and conditions to get the discount:
- Offer is only valid on One-way & Return trip fares. The discount would not apply on Multicity destinations/Stopovers.
- American Express Cardmembers can receive up to 10% off when booking a flight with Etihad Airways.
- Cardmembers must book and travel by 30 June 2017.
- Payment must be made with an American Express Card and bookings must be made on com.
- Flights and fare types are subject to availability at the time of booking.
- The discount only applies to flights that are sold by Etihad Airways and operated by Etihad Airways or our codeshare partners.
- Flights eligible for the discount are clearly signalled by a yellow star next to them. Please ensure only flights eligible for the discount are selected when booking.
- The discount only applies to the base fare and not on taxes or additional charges.
- The discount is valid on all Economy Saver, Economy Value, Economy Freedom, Business Saver, Business Value, Business Freedom and First Freedom, excluding child or infant fares.
Overall, this is a very good discount for booking directly with Etihad, while using a credit card or charge card from American Express. You could use the offer to save some of the cost of your ticket. To the best of my knowledge, this promotion is worldwide and hence you can get discounts across countries, including the USA.