Starwood Preferred Guest’s next global promotion is called “Explore More,” and the basic details are as follows:
- Registration required between September 6 and November 30, 2017
- Valid for stays between September 12, 2017, and January 15, 2018
- Earn 500 bonus points per stay at Aloft, Element, and Four Points, and 1,000 points per stay at Design Hotels, Le Meridien, Luxury Collection, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W, and Westin
- On top of that, earn 10,000 bonus Starpoints when you stay 25 or more nights during the promotion period
Not all hotels are participating in the promotion, so you’ll want to visit this page to see hotels offering 500 bonus Starpoints per stay, and this page to see hotels offering 1,000 bonus Starpoints per stay. However, all stays (even at hotels not on the above lists) will count towards the one-time bonus of 10,000 Starpoints.
It’s interesting to see a promotion that incentivizes shorter stays. I value Starpoints at Rs 1.5 each, so to me this is like earning:
- A Rs 715 return for limited service properties
- A ~$1430 return for full-service properties
- A ~$14300 return after 25 nights
To compare this new global promotion to Starwood’s last promotion, over the summer they offered a flat double or triple base Starpoints at participating hotels, depending on whether you’re staying during the weekdays or weekend. That translated to two or four bonus Starpoints per dollar spent, depending on the type of stay.
Someone like me would just maximize this promotion by changing my hotel every 2 days or probably every day on my leisure to maximise the promotion. It looks like I am going to have sort of mattress run at end of the year with Intercontinental generous promotion and current SPG promotion
So ultimately this promotion is more generous if you typically make short stays, while the previous promotion was more generous if you often made longer and more expensive stays.
What do you make of Starwood’s “Explore More” promotion?